House Speaker Kevin McCarthy Ousted in Historic Vote
- October 4, 2023
- 10:00 AM CDT
- Marlo Higgins
Speaker of the House of Representatives Kevin McCarthy was ousted in a historic vote by hardliners from his own party. The hardline republicans ousted the speaker by voting with the democrats as they were furious at the speaker’s support for more aid to Ukraine.
Why Was The Speaker Ousted?
Hardline republicans, who were upset at McCarthy’s insistence in providing more aid to Ukraine, voted with the democrats. Kevin McCarthy was ousted with a clear 216:208 vote. 216 included the votes of 8 republicans who argued that aid to Ukraine could be spent on domestic issues like health, education and climate.
First Time in US History
McCarthy became the first leader of the lower chamber to have been ousted out of office. Democrats didn’t have a clear majority while voting to oust the speaker. If it was not for the 8 hardline republicans to do so, the office wouldn’t have been declared empty.
- 1Pat Lynch’s New York
- 2Fighting Back in Flatbush
- 3Be True to Your Bar
- 4Spider Lays Eggs in Man's Toe, Spiderling Hatches Inside
- 5Blunt Force
- 6What do Iranians want? Better salaries, more jobs and safe working conditions
- 8Elon Musk's Tesla Recalls 2 Million Cars Over Autopilot Issue
- 9Queers Without Money
- 10What’s at stake in China’s plan to blow up islands in the Mekong
- 11Out of State, Out of Mind
- 12US Air Force Disciplines 15 Officers Over Discord Leak
- 1In Vietnam poverty and poor development, not just floods, kill the most marginalised
- 2Terror Threat As German Tourist Stabbed Near Eiffel Tower
- 3As Thailand restricts internet freedom, cyber activists work to keep an open web
- 4Chinese Hackers Targeting Critical US Infrastructure, FBI Says
- 5How we used cameras in the sky to track invasive plant species
- 6World's Biggest Iceberg Starts Moving After 30 Years
- 7Thinking Like a Mountain
- 8Price on Request
- 9Interior Decor
- 10Why Are Democrats Furious At Biden's Decision To Strike Houthis?