Former FBI Agent Sentenced For Helping Russian Oligarch
- December 15, 2023
- 11:30 AM CST
- Mairead Brooks
A former FBI agent has been sentenced for helping a Russian oligarch.
Mr. Charles McGonigal was sentenced to four years in prison for helping a Russian oligarch spy on a rival, something he confessed to doing in August.
Highest Ranking FBI Officer To Be Charged
Mr McGonigal is the highest-ranking FBI officer charged with such a crime.
McGonigal was tasked with investigating Russian oligarchs while overseeing the FBI’s counterintelligence division in New York.
Prosecutors said the accused violated international sanctions for working with Russian billionaire oligarch Oleg Deripaska.
McGonigal Regrets What He Did
McGonigal took full responsibility for his actions that violated his country’s prestige.
“I committed a felony and as a former FBI special agent it causes me extreme emotional and physical pain,” he said.
The BBC reported that prosecutors had asked for five years in prison, but it was reduced to four years.
- 1Summer Freeze
- 2Why the French election is a pivotal test for Europe
- 3No, palm oil is not responsible for 40% of global deforestation
- 4Defense Secretary Kept Prostate Cancer A Secret From Biden
- 5Island Writing
- 6The Look of a Loser
- 7Out of State, Out of Mind
- 8Japanese space agency’s mission aims to uncover how moons of Mars formed
- 9Mumbai floods: what happens when cities sacrifice ecology for development
- 10270 Americans Successfully Flown From Israel
- 11Gay Liberation Failed
- 12Rapper Drake To Take Break From Music Due To Health
- 1For Pakistan, China’s huge energy investments may have serious political costs
- 2French election will be a choice between embracing migrants’ rights and closing borders
- 3How ‘temporary urbanism’ can transform struggling industrial towns
- 4Dead the Long Year
- 5Rohingya genocide: the world can’t help until Myanmar changes its ways
- 6Drone Video Shows Iran Navy Spying Over US Warship
- 7Too Damn High
- 8Global series: Globalisation Under Pressure
- 9Jim Yong Kim starts his second term as World Bank president despite a rocky first five years
- 10Big Beefing