2024 Expected To be The Year to Breach Crucial Climate Threshold
- January 4, 2024
- 11:30 AM CST
- Joe Lawson
The year 2023 was not very pleasant either in terms of climate, but 2024 is expected to breach a crucial climate threshold.
The previous year saw a quarter of this time breaching the 1.5C mark, with worries that it is expected to double in 2024.
Scientists have raised the alarm by suggesting that the new year has a strong possibility of breaching the global temperature threshold.
2024 To Be A Record Breaker
Scientists said the year 2024 will be a record in terms of global rise of temperatures and a record breaker.
According to the United Kingdom Meteorological Organization, we will end the year with average global temperatures somewhere between 1.34C and 1.58C above pre-industrial levels.
Will the Paris Agreement Hold?
Being a crucial climate threshold, going above which will be disastrous, surpassing 1.5C will not break the Paris Agreement.
The 2015 climate agreement did not define how we would recognize that the 1.5C target had been surpassed.
- 1Holding the Line
- 2Annals of Annihilation
- 3A Good Death
- 4Goodbye, Dolly
- 5Henry Threadgill’s Life in Music
- 6A Violent Enterprise
- 7Close Encounters
- 8Irreconcilable Billionaires
- 9From the Strip to the Border
- 10Body Language
- 11Iran’s startups promise paradise for the country’s unemployed youth
- 12Syrian refugees in Turkey: time to dispel some myths
- 1Theater of Pain
- 2Universal basic income could work in Southeast Asia — but only if it goes to women
- 3A Luso-Tropical Holy Grail
- 4Spooky Actions
- 5For the Public Good
- 6You Are Not Familiar with My Voice
- 7Fighting Back in Flatbush
- 8Rising sea temperatures will hit fisheries and communities in poor countries the hardest
- 9The Republican Heels
- 10The Changeling