US To Gain Access To 15 Military Bases In Finland
- December 16, 2023
- 2:30 PM CST
- Jay M
Finland is willing to sign a joint declaration to host 15 US military bases starting next week.
The Finish Defense Ministry said the agreement would boost Finland’s security amid Russia’s provocative behavior on the borders.
Defense Minister Antti Hakkanen and Secretary of State Antony Blinken will sign the agreement.
NATO’s Newest Member
Finland is the latest member of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, a military alliance of Western countries.
Reuters reported that the agreement aims to take swift action to secure and provide military support to Finland in case of conflict.
The Finnish Foreign Ministry said the deal would “strengthen Finland’s defense because it enables the presence and training of US forces”.
Multiple other agreements have also been signed between Washington and Eastern European countries.
The US has signed similar agreements with Estonia, Norway, Bulgaria, Latvia, Lithuania, Slovakia, Poland, the Czech Republic, and Hungary to warn Russia not to expand the Ukraine war.
- 1Mumbai floods: what happens when cities sacrifice ecology for development
- 2China Accuses UK of Sending A Spy To Gather State Secrets
- 3The Crusties
- 4Can Macron, a reformer who listens, boost France’s global influence and rekindle French hope?
- 5Venezuela: Why Trump’s sanctions won’t work
- 6End of the World-Building
- 7Rebels with a Cause
- 8Sex and the City
- 9After Trump’s visit, Saudi Arabia hopes to reinforce its influence in the region, against Iran
- 10Venezuela has a fake news problem too
- 11How open data can help the Global South, from disaster relief to voter turnout
- 12Edith Wharton’s Hauntology
- 1Populism is still a threat to Europe — here’s how to contain it
- 2Egyptian Copt attacks: Why a ‘religious revolution’ in Islam won’t stop violent radicalisation
- 3Why journalists should engage with their readers: a view from Slovakia
- 4Trump Received Millions From Foreign Governments As President
- 5Does being religious or spiritual make you more ethical at work?
- 6Why we don’t trust robots
- 7Let the Sunshine In
- 8Lien on Me
- 9Jim Yong Kim starts his second term as World Bank president despite a rocky first five years
- 10Green Plants Can Predict Volcanic Activity, New Study Shows