Study Says Climate Crisis Costing $16m An Hour: The Guardian
- October 9, 2023
- 2:30 PM CDT
- Jeanine Bagley
According to a recent environmental study, quoted by The Guardian, extreme weather due to climate change has an estimated cost of $16 million an hour.
The study also revealed that from 2000 to 2019, the global economy suffered $2.8 trillion due to the climate crisis.
The researchers said the data they have is still lacking accurate numbers as these are just estimates.
$16 Million Cost A Day
The climate crisis which has severely devastated properties across all the continents in the recent past have been an issue of urgent concern.
The recent estimates show at least $16 million cost to public property and loss of lives, particularly in the developing world.
The study also found an average cost of around $140 billion in the last two decades.
1.2 Billion People Affected
The Guardian report also mentioned that at least 1.2 billion people have been affected by the climate crisis in the last 20 years.
Those numbers are expected to rise further as climate related events are triggering at a much faster rate around the world.
- 1The hidden secrets of insect poop
- 2Global hijabista style, from the Afghan burqa to the cover of a fashion magazine
- 3The Fourth Person
- 4Festival of Fear
- 5Real Magic
- 6How open data can help the Global South, from disaster relief to voter turnout
- 7Everybody Hates Marty
- 8The Department of Songbird Investigations
- 9How open data can help the Global South, from disaster relief to voter turnout
- 10The Dark Side of the Jazz Age
- 11After the Flood
- 12The Rag Dolls of Pompeii
- 1How ‘temporary urbanism’ can transform struggling industrial towns
- 2Letters and Fists
- 3Caught between police and gangs, Rio de Janeiro residents are dying in the line of fire
- 4Jim Yong Kim starts his second term as World Bank president despite a rocky first five years
- 5Morning Star
- 6Empires Are No Gentlemen
- 7Morning Star
- 8Israel Declares War As Hamas Launches Surprise Attack
- 9‘I’m so sorry’: when Indian advertisements turn around sexism
- 10Bruised Fruit